My Paris Purse Predicament

Here I go overthinking a purchase ... again. This time, it's about my every-day purse situation for Paris.

Why is this such a big deal? Because it's been a decade since I've had an urban lifestyle and I'm completely unsure what bag I'll need with me (or items in that bag) for a daily city existence.

So there.

Currently, I'm a suburban stay-at-home/work-from-home lady. And even that transition took me a few months to figure out the proper daily bag. I went from a commuting office worker purse (medium sized Orla Kiely handbag with lunch, snacks, and a water bottle that I carried the 100 yards from car to desk) to a bag fit for running errands and holding my to-do lists (an open top LL Bean "Mom" tote).

Starting in January, I'll be commuting two kids to school on foot in a city. Possibly on a scooter. And running errands in between. So my needs have changed substantially. I'll need to have reusable shopping bags, phone, keys, maybe an extra pair of mittens, sunglasses, tissues, etc. And who knows what else.

NO! Too Small
NO! Too Slouchy
So obviously I'm thinking of a backpack, because a shoulder bag would get heavy. And a tote or handbag would use up a hand needed to hold on to a kid. And maybe a scooter.

And I have definite opinions about adult backpacks. Such as: Scale, those teeny backpacks just look ridiculous. Or see-through - don't get me started. And I don't like the slouchy appearance of some backpacks. Ever. Also, it shouldn't look like a school backpack. And it doesn't need to be huge, the most I'll carry in a day is maybe my laptop (maybe) or camera.

So what does that leave me? I don't know. If I DID know, I wouldn't be writing this post.

But here are a few favorites candidates, so far ...

Parker Clay Leather Backpack - see it here
I like that it's convertible, so when I sit in a cafe or use it in a market, I can carry it by the handle. And that front zipper could hold my phone and keys. Also, this leather will weather beautifully and be its own little momento of my time in Paris. Though - what's the rule about leather backpacks in the rain?


Convertible Backpack with Canvas -- see it here 
This one has longer straps, so there's better conversion potential. And the canvas and faux (vegan) leather would hold up in the rain. I like that the top zips and there are compartments inside, to boot! But does it stick out too far? Might it verge into "slouchy" territory?



Fjallraven Totepack - see it here
People swear by this brand and durability. And it's all canvas, so (mostly) all weather and comes in a lot of color choices. It converts THREE ways, to handbag, shoulder bag, and backpack. 3-in-1! It has a bunch of pockets to organize in, which is cool. BUT does it veer too far in the "school" category? And is it stylish enough for the streets of Paris? I think not.



The debate continues. Part of me thinks I should just wing it and buy something once I get there. But I'm a planner, people! Also, the holidays are coming up, so good time to splurge on a new bag, right?!

Open to feedback on this one. Want to take a vote?




Related posts:
See my Summer Totes project
Fun Fashion posts 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The $80 Kitchen Pantry Update

Family Calendar Improvement

Basement Shiplap Project